[tor-relays] How to determine demand/need for bridges/PT?

isis isis at torproject.org
Fri Sep 18 04:23:10 UTC 2015

Steve Snyder transcribed 0.6K bytes:
> Looking at the Tor Metrics page, I can see the number of bridges and the
> number of users connecting via bridges, but that's not enough information to
> determine satisfaction of demand.
>
> Are there now enough bridges to comfortably satisfy demand?  Enough bridges
> with a particular PT type?  If not, what kind of resources are lacking?
>
> How does one determine where the need for more bridges, or PT type, is
> greatest?  (Assuming that there is any unmet need at all.)

Hey Steve,

We're currently lacking several important bridge metrics, such as:

 * bridge bandwidth measurements and usage,
 * number of bridges per PT type,
 * number of clients per country per PT that a bridge sees,
 * number of requests to BridgeDB for a specific PT per time period,
 * number and type of bridges handed out by BridgeDB, etc.

As such, it's currently a bit difficult to tell when a very particular need is
not being met. :(

However, in general, we have a lot of bridges which have no PTs at all.  In
fact, currently only about 25% of the bridges in BridgeDB offer PTs.  So, one
easy(ish) answer to your question is that we always need more stable bridges
running the latest-and-greatest PTs (currently: obfs4, obfs3).

We also often need bridges with PTs, extremely high bandwidth, and large
allowed network transfer to act as the default bridges in Tor Browser.

--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft