[tor-relays] Middle Relay has no traffic

starlight.2015q3 at binnacle.cx starlight.2015q3 at binnacle.cx
Mon Sep 14 19:54:19 UTC 2015

[know I'm breaking the thread--sorry about that]

>Starlight - I see your advertised BW is
>7.26MB =  58.08 Mb with globe showing 2
>to 4 Mb traffic. Maybe I will up the
>advertised BW on the relay and see if
>that helps.

That's not "advertised" bandwidth in the
sense of something that can be adjusted
by the operator.  It's the relay self-
measurement and is the fastest sustained
speed the relay has observed in the last
24 hours.  You can see this information
in the 'state' file on the BW...Max lines.
Verizon recently took down the connection
here for 18 hours (central-office upgrade
work for their new 100/100 promotion;
they will not admit it and gave no warning
--Verizon is not a perfect company either).
Normally the self-measure peaks at around
80-90% or so of actual bandwidth and the
7256KB value is on the low side of it's
range.  Self-measure for GMOJO02 is 204KB
or 1.6Mbits/second.  The BWauths have the
relay as:

2-gablemoo--w Bandwidth=204 Measured=33
5-moria1----w Bandwidth=204 Measured=59
3-maatuska--w Bandwidth=204 Measured=82 -- median
1-longclaw--w Bandwidth=204 Measured=131
4-Faravahar-w Bandwidth=204 Measured=185

I see this configured for GMOJO02:

BandwidthBurst 307200
BandwidthRate  204800

The self-measure shows this relay is getting
exactly what it should based on the settings.
If you want more you must increase these
values.  This is what I ran with before
the switch:

BandwidthBurst 1200000
BandwidthRate 325000

Where the 325KB average-max is 85%
of the 3MBit maximum capacity of the
Comcast link (375KB) and is intended
to prevent Comcast's aggressive and
problematic traffic shaping from
kicking in.

The BWauth/Torflow system presently targets
25-35% available bandwidth utilization
and the latter settings above will cause
the relay to obtain something like the
consensus 0.015934% value show by
Globe for the relay here back just before
the switch to FiOS, while the relay
you have is presently at 0.000232%.

Keep in mind the percentages fall steadily
due to overall bandwidth of the Tor
network increasing.  The BWauth value
for the relay here was something like
230k if I recall correctly.