[tor-relays] Deciding where to put new Tor relays

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Thu Sep 10 07:54:43 UTC 2015

> They're also likely to be wiretapping magnets.

That's an interesting point. Can we go deeper into this?

Does this mean that, everything else being equal, the good locations for
Tor nodes also happen to be the good locations for surveillance tapping
points?

If yes, my first thought was that maybe we'd want to adjust our formula so
that Tor relays don't coincide too much with these wiretap points. However,
given that the ASs of Tor relays are public I'm not sure it matters---if
intelligence prioritizes spying on Tor relays they will simply download the
list and tap the desired relays, regardless of where the relay is
topographically located.

Taken together, I'm inclined to say this remains the right way to
prioritize ASs for new Tor nodes.

-V