[tor-relays] Experience hosting exit relay with Costa Rica Servers: crservers.com

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Wed Sep 9 04:52:43 UTC 2015

On 09/08/2015 12:14 PM, Patrick O'Doherty wrote:
> I received the following response from them:
>
>> We do not discriminate on the use of any protocol among our customers.
>> Nevertheless, if we get complains or any type of pressure from public or private
>> entities for illegal activity occurring in your server, we will have to suspend
>> service.
>> You will be immediately contacted about any issue that arises.

This explanation is marvelously vague.

> so it would appear that they're not too friendly about hosting exit
> relays. I've asked if they can forward all abuse complains to be instead
> of immediately terminating service, but I'm not too hopeful.

My hunch is that they just don't want to deal with the complaints and
legal & administrative overhead -it's more cost-effective just to cut
you off. When I first set up Tor some years ago I briefly ran it as an
exit node, having sent an explanatory e-mail to my ISP, but I very
quickly learned that once they receive a DMCA notice they cut you off at
the knees, whereupon you're dealing with "help" desk morons working from
a very strict script. Best to run an exit node from a corporate set-up
with the legal boilerplate already in place.