[tor-relays] Legal status of operating Tor exit in UK?

Jonathan Baker-Bates jonathan at bakerbates.com
Tue Sep 8 22:54:50 UTC 2015

The ISP is Jump Networks, with whom I have a co-location in their Telehouse
suite. I'd recommend them highly otherwise, but somewhat unexpectedly,
they're using the bad traffic report as an opportunity to engage me in a
rather philosophical debate about Tor. It's interesting to hear their
opinions on topics such as how they think most Tor nodes are compromised to
drop malware on clients that use them; that there is probably little
privacy to be had using Tor because most exits are run by government
agencies, and that in their view anyone using Tor to anonymise their
traffic is being naive. But the main message I'm hearing is that they have
a problem with Tor, not necessarily anything to do with legal issues in
fact, come to think of it.

So it's a delicate situation really.

When you say ask for static IP, I have that - in fact the node runs on a
dedicated VM that's on the physical server, and has suitably clear reverse
DNS entry, etc. No SWIP though.

I think I might just get back to them and see if they can clarify their
policy. I don't want to monitor traffic, if only because the Tor project
warns again it. The ISP may of course say their policy is to shut down my
exit, in which case, well ... I feel honoured to have contributed to Tor
for the last six years.

Jonathan