[tor-relays] Does Setting Up a Bridge Relay Disable the Browser?

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Mon Sep 7 17:24:50 UTC 2015

On 09/07/2015 12:25 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> Well, it depends what you put in the torrc file. I assume you edited
> the torrc file that's inside the tor browser directory tree? Perhaps
> you did something there that it didn't like. Maybe you followed one of
> the instructions that suggested setting your socksport to 0, which would
> disable the client part of your Tor?

That's exactly it.

> The simplest approach in my opinion would be to install the Tor deb
> and configure it to be a bridge:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian
> and in step 2, be sure to uncomment the 'bridgerelay 1' line too.
>
> Then use your Tor Browser totally separately from this Tor.

I'll give this a shot.

> (It's great that you're using Debian -- not because it's the best OS,
> though some good arguments can be made that it is, but rather because
> the Linux Tor packages are maintained best for Debian.)

I like routine updates, I cannot lie.

Incidentally, Wendy Fox is giving a presentation on social media under
the aegis of the OSHER Lifelong Learning Institute at BSU as I'm typing
this. I've given my spiel about Tor on her show (Tennis Court Disco on
KRBX Radio Boise), and she's said that she'll mention the Tor Project.
After all, your privacy is more configurable than you may realize, and
this holds true for retirees and octogenarians too! Description's on Page 8.

http://extendedstudies.boisestate.edu/osher/files/2015/05/Osher_Fall2015_Catalog.pdf