[tor-relays] Faravahar messing with my IP address

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:55:58 UTC 2015

> On 23 Oct 2015, at 09:30, Green Dream <greendream848 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I see this from time to time as well. Here's another example:
>
>   Oct 17 23:02:44.000 [notice] Our IP Address has changed from 52.64.142.121 to [CORRECT IP]; rebuilding descriptor (source: 86.59.21.38).
>
> 52.64.142.121 appears to be an instance on Amazon's EC2. I don't run any nodes on EC2. 86.59.21.38 resolves to tor.noreply.org.
>
> I'm unable to find any occurrences of this happening from Faravahar, however the issue seems to be fairly common. What's going on?

We've had one suggestion so far:
That the iptables forwarding rule from Faravahar's old address might not be preserving the original source address.

Another possibility is that authorities running directory caching proxies are re-using the X-Your-IP-Address-Is header meant for other clients, rather than generating it fresh for every client.

A third possibility is a bug in the tor authority code, which sets X-Your-IP-Address-Is to the wrong IP.

Tim