[tor-relays] webiron requesting to block several /24 subnet

yl tor at yl.ms
Tue Oct 20 19:51:16 UTC 2015

Hello,
I received an abuse email today from my hoster (several emails from
webiron in one email), typical automated abuse emails, not much
information.

However, they request, if the origin IP is a Tor exit, to block the full
/24 subnet. As they also state, they will not provide the full IP of
there customer and request to block the exit to the /24.

Any thoughts on this? I don't like to block the whole /24, just because
one idiot using one of the IPs is using some snake oil service like
webiron, the collateral damage is to big in my eyes. All other IPs in
the same range will be blocked as well.

Why should I even care about blocking such IPs given by webiron? In my
opinion the blocking is useless from my side and in the worst case the
users of webiron will block my exit node IP. Would it be better for the
tor network if I'd block the IPs? Is there any bad consequences if I
don't for the Tor network?

Let me know your thoughts. The services URL is https://www.webiron.com,
don't need to go there, I didn't because such services are just useless.
Better use fail2ban or something similar.

Greeting
yl