[tor-relays] Tools for managing multiple relays

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:08:47 UTC 2015

>>* given costant resource (i.e. euro/month) I can
>>afford to run relays is it in general better to
>>run one bigger relay or, say, two smaller ones.
>
> Based on a past thread, guessing you run
>
> __fs_ BV2 IT 344 71 6.10 L 5.249.159.209 9001 None ... .aruba.it
> __fs_ BV3 IT 344 73 6.10 L 5.249.159.198 9001 None ... .aruba.it
> __fs_ BV4 IT 312 73 6.10 L 5.249.149.153 9001 None ... .aruba.it
> __fs_ BV5 IT 224 71 6.10 L 89.46.70.98   9001 None ... .aruba.it
>
> which are too slow to be assigned the guard flag.

None of the above :)

I run these three relays[1][2][3].

ccrelaycc [1] has acquired the guard flag in the last few days (don't
know when, last time I checked it did not have it).

A thing that is bothering me is that ccrelaycc and inara ([1] and [2]
respectively) are both on DigitalOcean, they are in two different
regions (AMS and SIN) *but*, notwithstanding that they have an
identical configuration, ccrelaycc has been experiencing 2 TB traffic
per month in the last 3 or 4 months while inara has barely reached 100
GB per month over same period (I use vnstat and arm for these stats),
that is a 20x difference. I would like to understand this difference.

It should be noted that both are the smallest VPS available on
DigitalOCean and that comes with 1 TB of traffic per month but it
seems that DigitalOcean is liberal about using more bandwidth (I have
read a similar comment on this list about DO).

jaine is much more recent and it is on Aruba.it in Italy. I expect
that they are much less liberal about using more bandwidth than what
is allotted so I set lower limits for the RelayBandwidhtRate
parameter.

For ccrelaycc and inara I have set:
---
RelayBandwidthRate 1600 KB
RelayBandwidthBurst 3200 KB
---
and for jaine:
---
RelayBandwidthRate 800 KB
RelayBandwidthBurst 1600 KB
---

What I see in the end are three quite different behaviors. Given that
jaine is at the beginning of its lifecycle I would give it some more
time before drawing any conclusions, but I would really like to
understand why ccrelaycc and inara are behaving so differently. I
would appreciate any input on this.

[1] ccrelaycc -
https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/1211AC1BBB8A1AF7CBA86BCE8689AA3146B86423
[2] inara - https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/AE2EB228A5D2A0CFFBF553319C414946D66CAC33