[tor-relays] Tools for managing multiple relays

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 21:00:55 UTC 2015

> On 15 Oct 2015, at 07:55, Cristian Consonni <kikkocristian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am currently running three small relays on two different services/ISPs.
>
> I have two somewhat unrelated questions:
> * given costant resource (i.e. euro/month) I can afford to run relays
> is it in general better to run one bigger relay or, say, two smaller
> ones.

One bigger relay - more bandwidth, less latency, and less work for you, unless… you are providing diversity of locations (geographic or AS), operating systems, or configurations with your multiple relays.

> * are there any tools to manage multiple tor node? For example, if I
> want to check if there are security updates I have to login separately
> in each system and launch them manually. Is this the way I should do
> this or there are ways to monitor the status of all my nodes and
> maintaing them as a whole.

Debian has an unattended-upgrades package that will even restart the machine when needed, if configured to do so.
(I think there’s another package for the restarts.)
It will also send emails every time it upgrades a package.

You might want to consider also doing Tor version upgrades this way, but I’ve found that it's best to do them manually but regularly, then check they worked. Others might have better experiences with automated Tor upgrades.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F