[tor-relays] new relay - not working right

Green Dream greendream848 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:18:11 UTC 2015

ClydeBoy is listed three times on Atlas. It appears to be running from the
same server, as the IP/port are the same for all 3 nodes, however the
fingerprint is different for each instance on Atlas:

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/68F162C50F22205FB3B728ACE67470B17D7430D6
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/53C1C1A27F9CD0A87383FB473ABD7E8D4378F703
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/53C1C1A27F9CD0A87383FB473ABD7E8D4378F703

I'm guessing that during your testing and config changes, the existing Tor
processes weren't getting killed and so you wound up with multiple Tor
processes fighting for attention and resources. That's not going to work
very well. ;-)

I'm not sure how you installed Tor. For Ubuntu or Debian, I normally follow
the instructions here:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#ubuntu

If you go this route, you should wind up with Tor installed as a proper
service, which can then be controlled via the standard methods, like:

  sudo service tor start
  sudo service tor stop
  sudo service tor restart

This will also take care of running the Tor process as the debian-tor user.