[tor-relays] Exit Node with Onion Pi

Alex Haesche cayden_109 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 12:50:54 UTC 2015

The common theme seems to be "don't do it." This is a little disappointing because I want to contribute somehow.
 Would you guys suggest running a bridge/relay instead, or just not helping out in terms of bandwidth contribution?

     On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 6:59 AM, Moritz Bartl <moritz at torservers.net> wrote:

 On 10/07/2015 04:21 AM, Alex Haesche wrote:
> I'm looking to start an exit node using this:
> https://learn.adafruit.com/onion-pi/overview
> I have 100 Mbps symmetric uncapped internet.
>
> What do I need to do to prepare and run an exit node? What can you tell
> me so I can run this well?

Nice line! Thank you for thinking about running an exit! Your ISP might
not be excited about an exit relay on their network. I've heard that
some people had success with smaller local ISPs, but with larger ISPs it
can be difficult.

Maybe it's best to start with a relay that only permits a handful of
ports, and see how it goes.

There's a lot more info at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorExitGuidelines

An Raspberry Pi is not powerful enough to saturate a 100mbit link.
Depending on the model, if I remember correctly, you will not be able to
make more than 10mbit per direction.

Someone should start a wiki page that compares different hardware
platforms. I hear good things about Odroid, Olinuxino and PCEngines APU.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/