[tor-relays] Exit Node with Onion Pi

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Wed Oct 7 10:05:19 UTC 2015

Dear Alex,

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 02:21:06AM +0000, Alex Haesche wrote:
> I'm looking to start an exit node using this:https://learn.adafruit.com/onion-pi/overview

Do you realize that the instructions you refer to are for a wireless
access point with a built-in Tor proxy rather than for a Tor relay?

This wireless access point provides a way for users of its wifi
network to use the Tor network without having to install any software
on their devices. Which is nice, but note that a more secure solution
would be to use the Tor Browser Bundle (for desktop computers) or
ORbot (for Android handheld computers) because these programs take
great care not to leak information that would identify its users.

> I have 100 Mbps symmetric uncapped internet.
> What do I need to do to prepare and run an exit node? What can you
> tell me so I can run this well?

A Raspberry Pi (from version 2) is a good choice for running a middle
relay at home. However, I would recommend against using it as an exit
relay for two reasons:

1) The Pi is not very efficient when it comes to handling network
traffic. You may not be able to utilize your full bandwidth.

2) For legal reasons, it is better to run Tor exits in data centers
instead of your home. Misguided police might confiscate all electronic
devices and storage media they find at your home.

Cheers,
Christian

--
  Digitalcourage e.V., Marktstr. 18, D-33602 Bielefeld, Germany
  Tel: +49-521-1639 1639 | Fax: +49-521-61172