[tor-relays] excessive bandwidth assigned bandwidth-limited exit relay

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Thu Oct 1 22:17:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:05:38 +0000
Dhalgren Tor <dhalgren.tor at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) observing that statistics show elevated cell-queuing delays when
> the relay has been in the saturated state, e.g.
>
> cell-queued-cells 2.59,0.11,0.01,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00
> cell-time-in-queue 107,25,3,3,4,3,7,4,1,7

So?

Using IP tables to drop packets also is going to add queuing delays
since cwnd will get decreased in response to the loss (CUBIC uses beta
of 0.2 IIRC).

It may be less queuing delay (note: write() completes the moment data
is in the outgoing buffer kernel side, so it may not be as apparent,
and is somewhat harder to measure), and it's your relay so I don't care
what you do, so do whatever you think works.

That said, placing an emphasis on unit-less quantities generated by a
measurement system that is currently held together by duct tape,
string, and chewing gum seems rather pointless and counter productive.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel