[tor-relays] IP-Echelon complains about claimed infringement

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Sun Nov 22 09:51:03 UTC 2015

Hi all,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 10:04:14AM +0100, Martin Kepplinger wrote:
> Those Mails just keep coming. I replied to hundreds of them and never
> heard back. They're a normal part of maintaining my exit relay :)

We also get several e-mails from IP-Echelon every day. When it
started, we replied to the sender address, but that e-mail bounced
with a note from GMail to the effect that too many message for this
account were coming in.

Next time, we additionally sent our reply to the other e-mail address
mentioned in their mailings, copyright at ip-echelon.com, once more
explaining that we are running a Tor exit node, and what this means.
This is the reply we got:

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:51:06AM +0000, IP-Echelon Support wrote:
> IP-Echelon Support Team, Oct 9, 10:51
>
> Dear Digitalcourage e.V. Tor Team,
>
> Thank you for contacting IP-Echelon. We appreciate the steps you
> have taken to ensure your network is not used to facilitate
> copyright infringement. At this time no further action is required.
>

> Sincerely,
> IP-Echelon Support Team

We did not block anything for them, nor did we say so. So we took this
e-mail as their acceptance of Tor exits.

But why do they continue to send us notices? We can only assume that
they have no control over their spam bot. Or maybe they just want to
advertise the hottest titles from Paramount. We think it is safe to
delete this kind of spam.

The Digitalcourage Tor Team

--
  Digitalcourage e.V., Marktstr. 18, D-33602 Bielefeld, Germany
  Tel: +49-521-1639 1639 | Fax: +49-521-61172 | mail @digitalcourage .de

Vorratsdatenspeicherung? Nicht schon wieder! Unterstützen Sie
unsere Verfassungsbeschwerde: https://digitalcourage.de/weg-mit-vds