[tor-relays] unlisted exit relay

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 22:22:49 UTC 2015

> On 18 Nov 2015, at 06:45, Green Dream <greendream848 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While visiting https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ <https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/> in Tor Browser, I noticed it wasn't detecting the exit node I was being routed through as a relay. Curious, I tried looking up the same IP in both Atlas and Globe, but neither knows of a relay at this IP. The IP of this exit is 104.156.228.115.
>
> What scenarios might cause this situation? As a Tor user, should I care? At the very least, it seems desirable to always be able to research the nodes you are using.

Multihomed exits using a different OutboundBindAddress from their Address (IPv4) or ORPort (IPv6).

The OR traffic comes in on one address, and the Exit traffic leaves on another.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F