[tor-relays] Exit relay seized by police

Tim Sammut tim at teamsammut.com
Tue Nov 10 00:40:19 UTC 2015

Hi Tim, sorry.

On 11/10/2015 12:33 AM, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor wrote:

>>> Is there a reliable way for an operator to detect this?
>
> If the directory authorities have removed the relay from the
> consensus, only they will see its fingerprint in their logs.
>
> If they haven't, and it's running on the public network, the
> fingerprint will be visible in Globe as a running relay.

I meant is it possible for a relay operator to detect if a snapshot of a
running VM or VPS has been taken? Asked slightly differently, if I have
a relay running as a VPS or VM, can I somehow detect if my provider took
a snapshot of the relay without informing me?

Following from that, are uninterrupted snapshots of running VMs possible
in all hypervisors or should we be using the provider's hypervisor
technology choice to inform how we decide which providers to use?

thanks and hope you are well
tim