[tor-relays] 130 "11BX1371" relays joined on 2015-10-30

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Nov 2 10:14:56 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 01, 2015 at 05:41:44PM +0000, ncl at cock.li wrote:
> Tom van der Woerdt:
> > Should they actually be blocked though?
> >
> > I mean, it's a lot of relays, but they're also contributing actual exit
> > bandwidth and it's not like they're spread over hundreds of /16s.
>
> I was just about to write a bit of clarification actually:
> They shouldn't be in a position to be able to really de-anon anyone via
> sybil, the oldest relays seem to be 3 days old, so there's still at
> least another 4 until they can get Guard, and that will still take a
> while to get users on it.

Correct. Actually, it takes 3 or so days before the bandwidth authorities
will assign you a weight -- so for pretty much the whole lifetime of these
relays, they had a weight of "w Bandwidth=20 Unmeasured=1" -- meaning
that while they may have had 'actual exit bandwidth' to contribute,
clients weren't actually taking them up on it.

I sent mail to the operator a few days ago to ask what's up, but I haven't
heard an answer. It looks like it was another of those stupid Internet
puzzles, where somehow the set of relays they set up was a hint in the
puzzle. Around today was when they started getting measurements from the
bwauths, and coincidentally a few hours ago was when we finally got the
deciding vote from the dir auth operators to bump the sybil relays out
of the network.

> Not to mention tor doesn't build circuits with
> more than one node on the same /16 (although now this batch has taken on
> another range)

There were a bunch of them running in 185.45.72.0/24 and 185.45.73.0/24,
but strangely, nearly all of them were short-lived. That is, they were
around long enough to start getting measurements, but then they went
away on their own. We'll see if they try to come back.

> Though, they could have already set up a number of guards prior to this
> that may not be obviously linkable to the same entity.

Yes, this is exactly the reason to take action on them rather than
waiting until they get their Guard flag to become worried.

> With intentions and scenarios unknown, it could also be someone who
> wants to help, there /was/ a call for exits not too long ago, after all.

Yes, also agreed. This is a sad downside to our current "open network"
model. We want to grow, but not too much from any one direction, and
this necessarily balances "make sure to keep out the super-obvious
attackers, even though many of them are probably honest people" with
"grow the network as large as possible, so we can be robust against
more subtle attackers".

--Roger