[tor-relays] How to use our own TOR relay as entry node for local network hosts

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Sat May 23 18:38:35 UTC 2015

Hi

Glad you understood what you are doing wrong. In this case, you can
use your relay as a guard for the clients in your network. See in my
previous email suggestion #2, and all your clients will have the
desired guard. Install Tor browser on each client and don't use proxy
setting, connect directly with StrictNodes and EntryNode.

Cheers!

On 5/23/2015 3:14 PM, Tor User wrote:
> Hi s7r,
>
> Thank you for your reply.  There's a lot of good info in it and
> I'll be reconfiguring the clients.
>
> The fact that I've been doing Tor-through-Tor unawares explains a
> lot. It did seem odd to have polipo in the mix, but it makes sense
> now, that would only be if the LAN clients weren't already running
> their own Tor clients (running TBB).
>
> Our public Tor relay is an entry guard.  We don't allow any exiting
> with it but it's stable, fast, HSDir, etc. and has the guard flag.

> It's Tor, not TOR or tor.

> You could run your own *Exit* node on your network, and use that as
> a static exit point, which will mix the traffic in your local
> network with the traffic of other Tor users, and you won't have to
> fear that the Exit node you are using is malicious and is logging
> your traffic or doing strange stuff with it.

The TOR browser bundle appears to function correctly, ie, it is