[tor-relays] amount of unmeasured relays continuously rising since 2 weeks

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Mon May 18 21:54:32 UTC 2015

Is splitting the bwauth data into a seperate consensus of some
description a possibility and have a few people run them without
needing to be a dirauth? That would mean lesser responsibility is
placed on bwauth ops and perhaps the load or task could be spread to
people known by Tor Project but not in the current dirauth pool.

On 18/05/2015 22:45, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 12:27:12AM +0300, s7r wrote:
>> Hi nusenu,
>>
>> Again thanks for keeping an eye on things. At least partially,
>> the balance of measured/unmeasured should be fixed in the new few
>> days.
>>
>> To relay operators, in the mean time, please bare for few more
>> days and sorry for the inconvenience, I can imagine what it feels
>> like to have a high capacity unmeasured relay. Developers already
>> know that a new bandwidth measurement system is badly needed,
>> just need to find workarounds for the short term until such a
>> system will be ready.
>
> I've even been pondering crazy hacks at this point like exporting
> moria1's bwauth file to a second dir auth, so it gets to vote twice
> and we're more likely to have the required minimum of three
> opinions for each relay.
>
> (This is a terrible idea, but we're in the realm of terrible ideas
> at this point.)
>
> Another terrible idea, while we're at it, is to disable the active
> measurements and go back to self-advertised weights by the relays.
>
> --Roger

- --
Activist, anarchist and a bit of a dreamer.
Keybase: https://keybase.io/thomaswhite

PGP Keys: https://www.thecthulhu.com/pgp-keys/
Current Fingerprint: BA81 407C BD61 CD15 E5D9 ADA9 5FA2 426F F34E 0FD4
Master Fingerprint: DDEF AB9B 1962 5D09 4264 2558 1F23 39B7 EF10 09F0

Twitter: @CthulhuSec
XMPP: thecthulhu at jabber.ccc.de
XMPP-OTR: 77E6C8C6 95FDE863 1172A1E1 8C114C01 691398AC