[tor-relays] Windows Tor Server Guide

Julien ROBIN julien.robin28 at free.fr
Sun May 17 10:41:08 UTC 2015

Hi !

>From my memories, I think the "Expert" Tor installer for Windows is installing, registering and launching Tor as service in a completely automatic way. It must be run as administrator, if not the Tor files cannot be written to "Program Files" and the service cannot be registered into Windows. This installer could be found into "View all downloads" on the "Download Tor" page.

You will have to find where is the Tor's DataDir ! But it should not be too complicated.
Feel free to try :) I remember it as easy.

At the begining, it will not be a Tor Relay, just a Tor proxy client listening on 127.0.0.1:9050 (it will change once you will edit your torrc and restart the Tor service)

But the idea of isolating the Tor service with a dedicated user, that cannot touch anything on the system, is a pretty good idea also. I'm not sure the Expert installer does that, but it should not be too much complicated (following the "how to" should be enough for that part).

>From the task manager, you can launch the "resource manager" : into the "network" tab, you have a view of all listening socket into your system. (You can see if Tor is inside or not, for example by looking if something listens on 9050, or another port you defined on torrc file). You can also see the Tor's log file ! It's usefull as it warns you in case of problems, and it tells you if it's working.

Good luck !

PS : Expert Installer should probably not be used for browing the Internet through Tor with a "standard browser". TBB is a better solution for Browsing Internet trough Tor (thanks to a secured browser). That's why Expert Installer is a little bit "hidden", for avoiding people browing Internet with it. But for a server use, Expert Installer does the job !