[tor-relays] Please enable IPv6 on your relay!

aredocilla at gmail.com aredocilla at gmail.com
Tue May 12 23:38:02 UTC 2015

Hi all,

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 12:09:45AM +0200, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> We still have a depressingly low number of relays that support IPv6
> (currently only ~120 of ~1900 relays). If your host supports IPv6,
> please enable it, especially if you run an exit! This has to be done
> explicitly.
Thanks for the nudge!

So I'm trying to do this and hit a few snags (noob alert!):

0. I'm using the ec2 config; I think this is quite old, as it has both an
ORPort and an ORListenAddress line, and the man page says the latter is
deprecated. Furthermore, adding another ORPort line makes it choke on reading
it:
May 12 23:04:48.219 [warn] ORListenAddress can't be used when there are multiple ORPort lines
May 12 23:04:48.219 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Invalid ORPort/ORListenAddress configuration
May 12 23:04:48.219 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

Commenting out ORListenAddress seems to make it work - but I'm not quite sure
why it was there. Should I be worried? I had
ORPort 443
ORListenAddress 0.0.0.0:9001

1. IPv6 address: my first thought was to get this from the ipv6 address listed
for eth0 in ifconfig. No such luck - it gives me a link-local address, and tor
doesn't like that.
May 12 23:07:35.311 [warn] Could not bind to fe80:<rest of address>:443: Invalid argument
May 12 23:07:35.311 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the listener ports.
May 12 23:07:35.311 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

2. So I put in :: and it works - restarts OK and I can see tor listening on both
ipv4 and ipv6 addresses in netstat. Is this bad, though? Listening on lo is
obviously fine, and the only other possibility is eth0 which is what I want -
but is this good practice?

I have some further questions about ports but I'll put those in a separate
email.

Best wishes,
allicoder

--