[tor-relays] Hardware specs for Tor Relay

yl tor at yl.ms
Thu Mar 26 19:58:35 UTC 2015

Hello,
I clicked myself a cheap vserver 20 days ago and it runs Tor since then.
I mainly did this to play a bit with the relay, try around and so. I
took over another relay a while ago, an exit, I don't want to try around
on that.

It runs well, I got about 4,4 TB data up AND down since then, I have it
running with 20-40Mb/s on a 100Mb/s connection (according to the hoster
100Mb/s), it runs as a non exit. CPU load it pretty high all the time
according to arm it's about 80-100%, but with htop I can see that only
one core of the CPU is busy, the others are not.

I figured that the CPU is so busy because the vserver doesn't have
AES-NI, which I confirmed by some command I run (forgot the command).

So I thought I might wanna move that relay to another server, maybe at
the same hoster to get higher data transfer.

What hardware specs do you have and is my assumption correct with the
AES-NI being one part of the bottleneck?

Thanks
yl