[tor-relays] Tor Cloud/AWS relay set up but no Tor installed

SiNA Rabbani sina at redteam.net
Sun Mar 22 04:52:34 UTC 2015

Hi allicoder,

The images on Tor Cloud website have not been updated for a while. The project is lacking someone
that can keep it up to date. I tried to take on the responsibility but so far I have failed to dedicate
the necessary time. Sorry for the bad experience.

As far as the specific problem with the Cloud image itself, there is a script that is supposed to install the relay
on first boot. See /etc/rc.local.

You can also find that script here: https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-cloud.git/plain/ec2-prep.sh

There are a couple of issues with the script itself that I noticed immediately:
1) the harcoded pgp key is expired
2) the debian experimental repository is returning a 404
W: Failed to fetch http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/dists/experimental-precise/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found [IP: 38.229.72.16 80]

If you wish to do some trouble-shooting, try to get these commands to run without any errors:
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
sudo bash /etc/ec2-prep.sh bridge

Finally, now that you have a running image and ssh access, you can just follow the Tor relay installations here:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for running a relay.

All the best,
Sina

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi