[tor-relays] Legal situation of tor in Europe

Dennis Fink metalgamer at c3l.lu
Thu Mar 12 18:13:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 06:16:25AM +0000, oneofthem at riseup.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone point me to an overview of the different legal situations for
> running tor relays in European countries? I'm especially interested how the
> situation differs per country.

I'm from the luxembourgish tor operators organisation, Frënn vun der Ënn
[0].

We asked a lawyer about the situation. The answer can be found in our
wiki [1]. (Be aware it is french)

We asked some questions:

First of all, can we held reliable, when people are visiting illegal
sites through one of our nodes. His answer was bascially not, as we are
only operating as "proxy". In contrary to Google, we cannot held
reliable, as we can't change the destination. Google can actively rank
his links differently and so Google can be held liable, if users go to
illegal sites, which they found on Google.

We also asked if we need to store the IP-Addresses of users. We are not
obligated to, as we are not an internet provider! And we don't have to
store the information, to which site users go!

I'm not a lawyer, so read for yourself and try to gather also other
information.

[0] http://enn.lu
[1] http://wiki.enn.lu/doku.php?id=blog:legal_frame_of_our_organization

Cheers,