[tor-relays] More consensus weight problems

Speak Freely when2plus2is5 at riseup.net
Mon Jun 29 18:06:51 UTC 2015

Rah rah rah... Emailed Aaron directly by accident.

Here's the email:

Hello,

First of all, I love Tor. I love Tor Browser, and I love running relays.

When the problems are solved, I will most likely spin up more relays.

I'm leaving my fastest relay running, as a method of checking the status
for myself. The rest have already started to expire, and within the next
week or so most of the other ones will have expired as well.

I'm going to try tor-dev-alpha 2.7.1 and change fingerprints, as per a
suggestion from s7r, seeing as how I have nothing to lose.

I just wish the bwauths could scan relays based off previous relative
consensus weights... If this particular relay was at 27000, it should be
higher on the list to check compared to another one I have that is at
487. My one relay was blazing fast with thousands of connections, my
other is painfully useless with dozens, but my fastest one lost its
consensus while the slowest one kept it's consensus. It just seems
silly. That being said, I don't know how/if the bwauths scan in any
order or just willy-nilly, (that's not entirely true, I know it's
segmented to some degree as I recall reading a blog post about how it's
chopped up) but... I'd be much less upset if my best relays worked and
my worst relays didn't. More complaining... bleh.

One thing I would like to point out though... it appears... These
problems have at least a casual relationship with MyFamily.

One group of MyFamily is completely done - all of them stuck at 20.
Another group of MyFamily is working happily.
I've been doing some tests over the past few months trying to understand
why I keep having problems, and one thing has consistently popped up...
MyFamily.

As one of MyFamily lost consensus, another family gained consensus back
on or around the same time.

Yes, especially nusenu, I know I'm supposed to have it all configured to
be under 1 MyFamily... But in a way I'm glad I didn't, as the casual
relationship I see really could only be seen having done what I did.

I say casual because I have no proof of causation. But... it is
interesting. If no one else has experienced similar problems, then I'd
chock it up to a completely unexpected unrelated set of mysterious
circumstances that should not have happened for which there is no
explanation.

Aaron, if there is anything I can do to help you please let me know.

So in conclusion, I'm not done, I'm just not happy.

This was supposed to be a short email, oops.

Matt
Speak Freely