[tor-relays] Raspberry Pi - Relay Setup

12xBTM 12xbtm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 03:36:56 UTC 2015

Let me add to this since I have a raspberry pi 2 tor relay:

First off, I run debian jessie on my pi2, but pi2 supports debian
wheezy. Make sure you harden your SSH to attack. You'll want to dedicate
as little ram to graphics as possible. You also want to have
AvoidDiskWrites and CPUNums in your torrc file as well, the details of
which can be found in the tor debian manual.

As for performance: My stock Pi2 averages about 30-40% load when it
bursts to 25Mbit/s, which saturates the connection. Thus, scaling
somewhat linearly, a Pi2 overclocked could probably handle a
50-100Mbit/s connection.  But you'll want to monitor things closely in
the beginning since there isn't much wiggly room on the Pi2. For
example, my image of debian jessie had a irqbalance service that had a
memory leak and was eating all the ram, which plagued my stability in
the first few weeks.

Also, you want a quality power supply, and, if it's a hot environment
and/or overclocking, a heat sink. Security and stability are the most
important, and the Pi2 can easily handle a residential connection as a
non-exit node, I only wish I had the connections to utilize my hardware.