[tor-relays] OpenBSD: tor rc script: don't kill unrelated tor instances (patch)

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Tue Jun 23 10:23:17 UTC 2015

Hi Pascal,

thanks for the fast reply.

I think there is a slight misunderstanding.

>> rc.subr(8) does not have multi-instance support, and it will most
>> likely stay that way.

Correct, and I'm _not_ trying to add that in any way to rc.subr or to
your rc script.

> What you're trying to do is going against that design
>> decision, so I suggest you simply don't use the rc.d subsystem
>> if configured for multiple instances.

Even if I'm not using it at all, your rc script will kill unrelated
tor instances, this is not limited to an ansible environment.

The goal is only to be able to have your tor package + the ansible
role on the same system without the rc script from the package
interfering with unrelated tor instances created via ansible.

>> I mean: As soon as you have more than one tor instance running,
>> you'll have to implement a way to start/stop/restart/reload all
>> of them individually anyway

That is already done.

Did this reply make the intentions clearer?

After all the proposed fix should not generate any new problem or
effort for your package, or does it?

thanks!