[tor-relays] Tor relay is restarting every minute

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 09:05:09 UTC 2015

> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 06:42:59 -0500
> From: Michael <mctor at biographiks.com>

> Jun 19 06:10:34.000 [warn] The communication stream of managed proxy
> '/usr/local/bin/obfsproxy' is 'closed'. Most probably the managed
> proxy stopped running. This might be a bug of the managed proxy, a bug
> of Tor, or a misconfiguration. Please enable logging on your managed
> proxy and check the logs for errors.

Please provide the obfsproxy logs.
You might also find that the tor debug-level logs around the time of the interrupt are useful.

> Jun 19 06:11:43.958 [warn] OpenSSL version from headers does not match
> the version we're running with. If you get weird crashes, that might
> be why. (Compiled with 1000105f: OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013; running
> with 1000106f: OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014).
> Jun 19 06:11:43.958 [notice] Tor v0.2.6.9 (git-145b2587d1269af4)
> running on Linux with Libevent 2.0.21-stable, OpenSSL 1.0.1f and Zlib
> 1.2.8.

Please run tor with the OpenSSL version it was compiled with, and see if that makes a difference.

> Jun 19 06:10:28.722 [notice] We were compiled with headers from
> version 2.0.19-stable of Libevent, but we're using a Libevent library
> that says it's version 2.0.21-stable.

Please try using the same Libevent version tor was compiled with, and seeing if that makes a difference.

You might also want to consider the following:

tor is shutting down because it's receiving an interrupt signal.
Which interrupt is it receiving?
What is sending the interrupt signal to tor?
Potential options are cron, a memory or server watchdog process, a rogue process, or perhaps a hardware fault.

obfsproxy isn't running.
Why does the obfsproxy process not start up/not keep running/shut down?

Did you do anything else to your server around the time of the move?
Upgrade software?
Drop it? (I only ask because a hardware fault can trigger certain kinds of interrupts.)

Does AT&T block certain types of connections?

teor

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp 0xABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7