[tor-relays] Cheap exit-friedly VPS provider

Andrej Manduch amanduch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:28:23 UTC 2015

Hi Alexey-san,

I'm running tor exit relay on VPS from amerinoc and they didn't seems
to have problem with that. I mentioned that when I asked them to change
abuse e-mail for ip-address and they were ok with that.

However I would definitly recommend you to take look at this list:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

I also heard that https://hosting.wedos.com/en/ are very tor friendly
and they're really cheap (about 100 bucks/year).

On 06/09/2015 11:43 AM, Stephen R Guglielmo wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 22:35:28 -0700 Alexey Nayden
> <alexey.nayden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> A couple of months ago I decided to run a Tor exit relay. I
>> contacted several VPS and dedicated providers and ended up using
>> PulseServers, because they offered unmetered fast channel for
>> ~$13/month and were Tor-friendly. Only after installing and
>> configuring the relay I realized their IPs are from OVH AS and
>> they are OVH resellers. I understand OVH AS'es already dominate
>> the network and should be avoided if possible, so I have 2
>> questions:
>>
>> 1. Is there a comparable alternative? 100 Mbit/s unmetered (or
>> 20+ TB of traffic) for less than $20/month. I imagine cheap
>> OpenVZ virts can't handle even 100 Mbit/s anyway, so I'm not
>> looking for top performance, but I want something that can do at
>> least 50 Mbit/s 24/7.
>>
>> 2. If one decided to use OVH AS, are VPS that OVH sells directly
>> good enough? They have virts as cheap as 2.99/month with at least
>> 10Tb at 100Mbit/s (http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-classic.xml)
>
> I can't say for exits, but I use the OVH Classic VPS ($2.99/mo) to
> run one of my relays. It's not an exit node. I let them know about
> it and paid a year in advance. No problems whatsoever with them
> thus far.

Kind regards,
b.