[tor-relays] Keeping an exit node off of blacklists due to botnet activity.

tor at t-3.net tor at t-3.net
Fri Jun 5 13:21:24 UTC 2015

http://cbl.abuseat.org/
 > blacklist and have been informed of this listing by the VPS
provider.
 > The relay is running with a reduced exit policy -- and additionally
I've
 > blocked common mail ports, etc via IPFW so I know that no spam is
 > actually being sent out of the relay. Still, various botnets
connections
 > are connecting to abuseat.org botnet sinkholes via port 80
 > Command&Control connection attempts. I'm at a loss at how to stop
this
 > or somehow detect and filter botnet traffic.
 >
 > I've informed the VPS provider that I'm on top of it and have the
 > machine configured to not actually allow this sort of malicious
traffic
 > out and they seem to be generally happy with that explanation, but
 > better solution if one exists would be appreciated.
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Julian Plamann
 >
 > julian (at) amity.be
 > GPG: 0x96881D83

Don't know if this will help, but maybe:

ExitPolicy reject 85.159.211.119   # Cryptolocker
ExitPolicy reject 212.71.250.4     # Cryptolocker
ExitPolicy reject 54.83.43.69      # Cryptolocker
ExitPolicy reject 192.42.116.41    # Cryptolocker
ExitPolicy reject 192.42.119.41    # Cryptolocker
ExitPolicy reject 198.98.103.253   # Cryptolocker
ExitPolicy reject 208.64.121.161   # Cryptolocker
ExitPolicy reject 142.0.36.234     # Cryptolocker
ExitPolicy reject 173.193.197.194  # Cryptolocker

In general, I see complaints about abuse from the exit relays we run
due to someone using Tor to try to exploit remote web server scripts
and databases and the like. I don't think there's anything that can be
done about it? I would say that it's just part of what you get coming
out out of Tor exit nodes.

If anyone else has any better advice feel free to correct me but, I
think it might be accurate to explain to the upstream that Tor exits
will generate certain kinds of abuse complaints as part of normal
operation. They open proxy web-related ports out, and some people
abuse Tor for web hacking types of activity.

I would say that it is normal for Tor exits to live permanently on
certain kinds of blacklists. They do not need to be on the spam email
related ones (reject *:25 and other email ports),  but they will land
on other types of blacklists, and I don't think it can be helped.