[tor-relays] Bridge Usage and Setup

Jens Kubieziel maillist at kubieziel.de
Tue Jun 2 21:15:01 UTC 2015

* Tom Ritter schrieb am 2015-06-01 um 18:34 Uhr:
> Earlier this month I set up an obfs3/obfs4 bridge that (as far as I
> can tell) has never been used. Is this normal?  My bridge is at

I'm running several bridges (plus obfs3, obfs4 and other PTs). However
most of them are never used (something like 4 in 10 or less). The ones
that are in use attract only a few users. The bridgte-stats constantly
tell me about 8 »users« (which is the minimum value). Sometimes there
are 16 or even 24 »users«. However the last case is very rare.

> How do I (easily) confirm my bridge is correctly configured?

I try to build the line from /var/lib/tor/pt_state/obfs4_bridgeline.txt
in the case of obfs4 and enter it into my Tor Browser. Also I set up
logging for obfs4. If I open Tor Browser, open a website and see a
connection attempt in the obfs4.log, I take it as a confirmation that it
works.

> $  cat /var/lib/tor/stats/bridge-stats
> bridge-stats-end 2015-05-31 18:58:43 (86400 s)
> bridge-ips

The above line shows between 1 and 6 different country codes which
usually all equal to 8.

> bridge-ip-transports

In the majority of the bridges I see <OR> (default bridge), sometimes
obfs3 and almost never any other of the pluggable transports.
I want to investigate why obfs4 is nearly never used.

--
Jens Kubieziel                                   http://www.kubieziel.de
Wer vom Glück immer nur träumt, darf sich nicht wundern, wenn er es