[tor-relays] Fwd: Re: Multi-core Support

12xBTM 12xbtm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 17:02:12 UTC 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [tor-relays] Multi-core Support
Date: 	Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:55:31 -0400
From: 	12xBTM <12xBTM at gmail.com>
To: 	Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net>

Some multicore support (at least 4 cores) should be a priority. Going
beyond doesn't cater to many node operators at this time. Don't quote me
on the numbers, but having decent 4-core support would let someone run a
node with the same bandwidth on an Atom/i5 that currently runs on one
thread of a Xeon. Or, if someone has a Xeon, such as a collocation
center, would let them fully utilize the processor they are paying for,
which would be a good morale boost for node operators.

But, honestly, the very minimum that can be done to improve the
situation (which I know is being worked on as of 0.2.7) is improving a
2-thread program, to further utilize 2 threads of a cpu. That way, we
can get by with 2 processes on one 4-thread CPU, instead of being
tempted to jumped to 4 processes.