[tor-relays] Multi-core Support

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 16:31:54 UTC 2015

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 20:31:56 +0500
> From: Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net>
>
> On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:13:13 -0400
> 12xBTM <12xbtm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Improving multi-core support can allow users to saturate high bandwidth
>> connections with cheaper processors, less setup, and just more efficient
>> deployment of high-capacity nodes in general. Improving multi-core
>> support should be a major priority.
>
> Sure but I doubt anyone contests that it's better to have multicore support,
> than to not have it. However that work doesn't get automatically done.
>
> One quick and simple stop-gap alternative that I suggested some time ago would
> be to stop ignoring more than two relays per IP address.
>
> With the IPv4 shortage and abundance of multi-core CPUs, raising that limit to
> let's say 4, would at least allow many people to run a Tor process per core on
> the same single IPv4 that they have (utilizing up to four cores, not just two).

This was suggested in

But the concern was that any increase to 2 relays per IP would make it much easier for sybil attacks. Perhaps we could try an increase to 3 or 4 per IP?

teor

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp 0xABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7