[tor-relays] tor network "loses" ~50 relays/day due to bw auth problem

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon Jun 1 16:02:53 UTC 2015

Hrm.  So this gets into the inner workings of the bwauth system which
is... complicated.[0] Honestly, I'm not actually sure how the
individual data from the different bwauths is combined into a single
value for the consensus.

I'm not sure what the answer is for your problem, but I'm beginning to
wonder if the general approach to this problem is "There should be a
bwauth debugging mechanism similar to
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/ or (the unimplemented)
proposal 164."   I don't know if said mechanism would be a component
of atlas/globe or an entirely separate site, but if the bwauths
exported their hourly files, and this hypothetical tool aggregated
that data, it may help figure these things out.  It might give an
answer like "moria spazzed out and undervoted me, let me wait until it
scans me again."

-tom

[0] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torflow.git/tree/NetworkScanners/BwAuthority/README.spec.txt
[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals/164-reporting-server-status.txt