[tor-relays] Giving away some "pre-warmed" relay keys for adoption

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 18:02:33 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Yawning Angel <yawning at schwanenlied.me> wrote:
> Like I noted in my reply to Paul S. if there was a way to
> measure/quantify trust, or deal with the "people's Guards just

I'd agree that randomly handing off nodes is bad.
And that there may be cases where structured handoff
among operators or to new operators could be useful
once such structure was developed.
And that certainly people have handed off nodes amongst
themselves privately many times before, be it amongst
friends or some entity/sponsor running nodes where the
original humans or entity has moved on, etc.

More on the notion of trust and metrics in the mesh...

"Node Operators Web Of Trust"
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-November/005710.html

> potentially switched location

That would be picked up in geoip, and should be
something Tor checks for on each startup (I don't know
if Tor blindly uses fingerprints already in state file or
revalidates them against all other metrics of the user
before use.)