[tor-relays] Running a relay in the Netherlands

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 14:20:39 UTC 2015

> On 22 Jul 2015, at 20:37 , Pascal Terjan <pterjan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 22 July 2015 at 10:44, Rejo Zenger <rejo at zenger.nl> wrote:
>> ++ 21/07/15 20:59 +0200 - Jan Hendrik den Besten:
>>> I have my node running here in The Netherlands at UPC, now merged with
>>> Ziggo. I contacted them once: back then they did not have a problem running
>>> even an exit node.
>>
>> If that is a connection at your home and if that is an exit-node, be
>> aware of the risks: your connection may be shut-down by your provider.
>>

> Running an exit node at home sounds a bad idea even without such
> consequences, I would expect to get blocked in random places even when
> not using tor.
> Unless of course you can dedicate a second IP, easier with IPv6.

Unfortunately, tor relays need at IPv4 address at the moment.
So using different IPv6 addresses doesn't gain you anything (except the ability to connect to IPv6 sites from an exit).

Also, some blacklist operators/users even blacklist non-exit relay IPs (Apple's forums are the most obvious ones to me, but I'm sure there are more).

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp ABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7