[tor-relays] [Relay] Hibernation Reset

Tor Operator tor at coldnorthadmin.com
Wed Jul 22 05:30:14 UTC 2015

Here goes.

The relay was configured to turn off when 1TB of traffic was reached. It
did so way faster than I anticipated. Moreover, my VPS host actually
doesn't count inbound traffic as part of my monthly limit. Since a TOR
relay traffic is mostly symmetric, it does mean that BWAccounting will
still consider the inbound traffic as part of the hard-limit.

The old configuration was :
AccountingRule sum
AccountingMax 1000 GBytes

That was obviously a mistake since the "sum" method meant that I would
hit the hard-limit really quickly. Here is the current configuration
that I'm testing. What I want is simply to reset the accounting cycle on
the first of every month. The max statement should allow me to use
1.5TB~ of data (750 GB inbound / 750 GB outbound) :

AccountingRule max
AccountingStart month 1 00:00
AccountingMax 750 GBytes

Now, since accounting also tracks the "old" data, is there a way to
"start anew"? To reset the data accumulated so far?

I appreciate any help on the matter!

Thanks.