[tor-relays] Catch 22 pay, set-up and be banned

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Sun Jul 19 06:36:46 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-18 22:35, I wrote:
> The VPS business was happy for me to sign on and pay knowing it was
> for exits.
>
> The black list operator they rely on  [https://www.dan.me.uk/dnsbl ]
> checks hourly for Tor nodes to match against the VPSs.
>
> What could be the motivation of the black list operator!  If he
> answers I will let you know of any justification.
> It's easy to see the rationale of the business. A third of my VPSs
> have dudded me like this.
>
> Doesn't USA have proper trade practices legislation?

Sure. Hire a lawyer and sue, you'll probably get your money back. Beyond
that, if you paid via credit card and you feel that a vendor failed to
deliver what type promised, reverse the charge with your credit card
provider and call it a day.

Note that if you reverse charges in this way, it doesn't alleviate you
of the debt, but it does force them to pursue you via the legal system,
which will likely not be possible if they did actually violate the
agreement (and it won't be worth their time for a small amount of money
anyway)

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/