[tor-relays] Simplifying ExoneraTor

josh at tucker.wales josh at tucker.wales
Wed Jul 8 06:56:39 UTC 2015

> On 8 Jul 2015, at 04:56, Zack Weinberg <zackw at cmu.edu> wrote:
> I may have gotten this project mixed up with the one that is replacing
> Atlas/Onionoo, for which a "dashboard" showing the relay's status at
> the present time is the entry point.  Still, I think that an
> investigator might indeed want to know whether the behavior of the
> relay is different now than it was at the time of the incident.  For
> instance, there would be no point to complaining about exit traffic
> emanating from a relay that *was* an exit, but isn't anymore.  And a
> relay that was only an exit for a brief window of time, that happens
> to coincide with an incident, should be suspected to have been hacked.

I don't think this is information ExoneraTor should provide.

I agree that the investigator might need to know the differences in the configuration of the relay between "now" and "then", but ExoneraTor isn't a config diff utility. There are tools available to confirm the current status of a relay, and I don't feel we should be duplicating this functionality again in ExoneraTor.

Regards,

Joshua Lee Tucker
@tuckerwales