[tor-relays] Simplifying ExoneraTor

Joshua Lee Tucker josh at tucker.wales
Tue Jul 7 17:54:46 UTC 2015

I agree with the fact that I think we could accomplish all of this through
better documentation.

I'm not a massive fan of those five different states - I just feel it's a
little too confusing for users.

Regards,

Joshua Lee Tucker
@tuckerwales

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org>
wrote:

On 07/07/15 17:40, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Joshua Lee Tucker
> <josh at tucker.wales> wrote:
>>
>> I personally don't like displaying the ports in the overview page
>> - I would also much rather have this information displayed in a
>> detail page. (Maybe make the "Exit: Yes" clickable?)
>
> How about "Exit: [Never/Unrestricted/Restricted/Unlikely/Former]
> (details...)"

Yes, I could imagine adding more states than just Yes and No.

> where: "Never" means the relay has never allowed exiting to any
> port or IP;

Well, the table already contains a timestamp, so this is probably not
necessary.  Also, keeping a history whether a relay permitted exiting
up to a given time is quite expensive, because we'd have to re-import
the whole descriptor archives for this.

> "Unrestricted" means the relay currently allows exiting to all
> ports and IPs;

Plausible, though there are hardly any relays permitting all ports.

> "Restricted" means the relay currently allows exiting to some
> ports and IPs, enough to get the exit flag;

I'd simply call this "Yes".  All relays with the Exit flag would have
this state.

> "Unlikely" means the relay currently allows exiting to some ports
> and IPs, *not* enough to get the exit flag;

This is probably what I'd call "Restricted" or "Limited".  That's for
all relays which don't have reject 1-65535 and which also don't have
the Exit flag.

> "Former" means the relay allowed exiting to something at some time
> in the past, but doesn't anymore.

This has the same issues as "Never".

We'd also need "No" for the reject 1-65535 case.

> And in all cases you can click for more details.  (The
> '(details...)' is literal.)

See my earlier response about more details.  We can probably explain
three or four possible states in easy-to-understand terms.

So, yes, this seems plausible, if we can keep it simple.  What states
should we use, and how should we document those in user language?

All the best,
Karsten