[tor-relays] More consensus weight problems

Speak Freely when2plus2is5 at riseup.net
Tue Jul 7 13:24:54 UTC 2015

Hey Josh,

(The following is the only sentence that matters in this email)

I was just curious about the statement that it "takes a full 2 weeks for
the new-relay cap to be aged-out".

(The following is only background information in case you were curious,
because it's been a hell of a long standing issue.)

Oh, damn near all of them. If I recall correctly, it all started in
March, and just got worse and worse, and by the time May rolled around I
was just wasting money. However, I let about 5 exits slide on their
renewal this month as all but 2 non-exit relays lost consensus
completely, perpetually locked at 20. At one point, I was merrily
pumping well over 200Mbit upload and download, over 400Mbit/s total over
all the relays. Then one day, literally 1 day, I was not so merrily
pumping ~100k/s total over all relays. A few months have now lapsed, and
I've mostly given up. I now just try things and report in the hopes that
it will jog someones memory or give some insight into what's going on.

Doing everything I could, limited though it may be, to keep my fastest
relay running, which at one point was doing 125Mbit each way, over a
period of over a month I tried resetting the keys, updating the
software, resetting the keys again, then finally upgrading to the
0.2.7.x alpha, resetting the keys again, and still nothing. Consensus
weight = 20 == nothing.

Then I got upset and complained, and starlight said I had to wait 2
weeks for the new-relay cap to be released, which I knew to be untrue as
I had never experienced that before, because I have fond memories of
times long ago when my relays worked.

So for fun, I re-spun one of my working relays. Fresh install, new onion
keys. It gained consensus after ~48 hours, instead of the 336 hours
(2wks) starlight indicated.

Matt
Speak Freely