[tor-relays] Question about responding to abuse request

Tim Semeijn noc at babylon.network
Sun Jul 5 17:37:17 UTC 2015

I receive the Webiron abuse complaints too. You can opt-out of their
e-mails as I personally also do not like restricting access to
specific networks.

For the relays I run which are in a SWIP-ed IP range redirecting the
abuse to myself I just ignore them. I do however have a few relays
without IP addresses on my own name for which I did have to add a
reported range to the exit policy to prevent an angry hoster.

It is up to yourself to decide what you can and want to do with it.
Better have a relay which stays running but restricting access to one
/24 range than have it offline as a whole.

Just my two cents.

On 7/5/15 7:21 PM, Patrick ZAJDA wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I run a Tor exit node, and I received an abuse complain from
> Webiron. In this mail, I can read the following: "If you run a VPN,
> anonymizer service (like a TOR exit or proxy node), or business
> intelligence not contracted with the site owner, then we request
> that the targeted range be blocked from your service. If it is
> being blocked, then it's at the right and choice of our clients to
> refuse access." So if I understand correctly, they ask me to block
> the targeted range they give me in this report.
>
> I know I can block this IP range by adding it to my exit policy,
> but I would like to know how others exit node operators manage
> these type of requests, because I ask myself if it is not against
> tor philosophy to block access to a specific network to Tor users.
>
> Thanks all in advance for your answers.
>
> Best regards,

- --
Tim Semeijn