[tor-relays] Simplifying ExoneraTor

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Jul 5 13:26:25 UTC 2015

On 05/07/15 14:20, teor wrote:

>> On 5 Jul 2015, at 19:37 , Karsten Loesing
>> <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Results: do we really need the "Exit: yes" column? Seems pretty
>>>  redundant to me.
>>
>> I think this is answered later in this thread.  We should
>> probably keep that column.  Not sure if exiting to at least one
>> of the two ports 80 and 443 justifies having that column set to
>> yes.  But assuming we can figure out good criteria there, having
>> this information might be useful.
>
> If we don't use the same definition as the Exit flag or the policy
> summary in microdescriptors (which can, in fact, be different),
> can we please document it somewhere?
>
> For the purposes of ExoneraTor, it makes sense to use a broad(er)
> definition of Exit, as those using it will likely be answering the
> question: "Could a client have possibly used this relay as an
> exit?" Rather than: "Is this a relay which Exits to most places on
> some ports?" (microdescriptors) "Is this a relay which Exits to
> some places on common ports?" (consensus flag)
>
> The differences between the consensus Exit flag and
> microdescriptor policy summaries are already a source of some
> confusion: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/11264

Actually, how about we use the same definition as for the Exit flag?

Even if a relay without the Exit flag could have possibly been used as
an exit, the probability for clients to choose it is quite low.

I'd say let's make this as simple and least confusing as possible.
Re-using the existing definition of the Exit flag makes a lot of sense
to me.

Updated the mockup.

>>> Also, there seems to be 24 rows with white background, then 24
>>> with light grey bg. If the search returns eg. 30 results, then
>>> only the last 6 would be in grey, and users could potentially
>>> think there's something special about those. I'd use a much
>>> smaller number, eg. 5 at most, so it's obvious that the
>>> background is just there for aesthetic reasons.
>>
>> Ah, the highlighted rows contain results for the searched date,
>> whereas the other rows are for the previous and next date.  The
>> idea is to always search +/- 1 day in order not to rely on users
>> figuring out timezones correctly.  Maybe the highlighting is too
>> implicit though.  I'll leave it out.  It's not worth explaining
>> to users what the highlighting is about, and it's particularly
>> not worth confusing users with it.
>
> "The two extreme time zones on Earth (both in the mid Pacific)
> differ by 26 hours."
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UTC_time_offsets
>
> So can we possibly change this to +/- 26 hours? (or, perhaps, 30
> hours, just in case some region adjusts its timezone another hour
> or two out?)
>
> For the sake of those in Kiribati, Samoa, Tonga  and the eastern
> New Zealand islands on one side, and the US Minor Outlying Islands
> on the other.

But no timezone can be more than -12 or +14 hours away from UTC, so I
think we're good by including the previous and next 24 hours of any
given date.  That being said, I'm not good at timezones, so it's quite
possible that my math is wrong.

> Tim
>
> Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

Thanks for your feedback!