[tor-relays] Simplifying ExoneraTor

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 12:20:31 UTC 2015

> On 5 Jul 2015, at 19:37 , Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Results: do we really need the "Exit: yes" column? Seems pretty
> > redundant to me.
>
> I think this is answered later in this thread.  We should probably
> keep that column.  Not sure if exiting to at least one of the two
> ports 80 and 443 justifies having that column set to yes.  But
> assuming we can figure out good criteria there, having this
> information might be useful.

If we don't use the same definition as the Exit flag or the policy summary in microdescriptors (which can, in fact, be different), can we please document it somewhere?

For the purposes of ExoneraTor, it makes sense to use a broad(er) definition of Exit, as those using it will likely be answering the question:
"Could a client have possibly used this relay as an exit?"
Rather than:
"Is this a relay which Exits to most places on some ports?" (microdescriptors)
"Is this a relay which Exits to some places on common ports?" (consensus flag)

The differences between the consensus Exit flag and microdescriptor policy summaries are already a source of some confusion:

> > Also, there seems to be 24 rows with white background, then 24 with
> > light grey bg. If the search returns eg. 30 results, then only the
> > last 6 would be in grey, and users could potentially think there's
> > something special about those. I'd use a much smaller number, eg. 5
> > at most, so it's obvious that the background is just there for
> > aesthetic reasons.
>
> Ah, the highlighted rows contain results for the searched date,
> whereas the other rows are for the previous and next date.  The idea
> is to always search +/- 1 day in order not to rely on users figuring
> out timezones correctly.  Maybe the highlighting is too implicit
> though.  I'll leave it out.  It's not worth explaining to users what
> the highlighting is about, and it's particularly not worth confusing
> users with it.

"The two extreme time zones on Earth (both in the mid Pacific) differ by 26 hours."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UTC_time_offsets

So can we possibly change this to +/- 26 hours? (or, perhaps, 30 hours, just in case some region adjusts its timezone another hour or two out?)

For the sake of those in Kiribati, Samoa, Tonga  and the eastern New Zealand islands on one side, and the US Minor Outlying Islands on the other.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp ABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR D5BE4EC2 255D7585 F3874930 DB130265 7C9EBBC7