[tor-relays] Simplifying ExoneraTor

David Serrano tor at dserrano5.es
Sat Jul 4 08:55:47 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-02 09:40:31 (+0200), Karsten Loesing wrote:

> Julius and I have been working on a design mockup for the ExoneraTor
> service for the past few months and would want to hear what you think
> about this:
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~karsten/volatile/exonerator-mockup/

Good job! This new page looks a lot fresher.

Logo: I'd like a version of the third one in which the fingerprints were more
or less aligned to the onion layers on the original Tor logo, keeping the
correct perspective and all that.

Dates: I was going to suggest 3 separate comboboxes to prevent users from
entering wrong formats, but if Joshua's solution works without javascript,
then it's a killer. Would be nice that the fallback on older browsers
were those 3 combos.

Results: do we really need the "Exit: yes" column? Seems pretty redundant to
me. Also, there seems to be 24 rows with white background, then 24 with light
grey bg. If the search returns eg. 30 results, then only the last 6 would be
in grey, and users could potentially think there's something special about
those. I'd use a much smaller number, eg. 5 at most, so it's obvious that
the background is just there for aesthetic reasons.

> The main idea behind this redesign was to simplify the existing
> ExoneraTor service by omitting technical details (e.g., Tor descriptor
> contents) and removing mostly unused features (e.g., parsing detailed
> exit policies).

Maybe a link to a "Technical details" could still be kept for the most weirdos
among us :), containing some more details. Not the full gore we have now, but
something like platform, bandwidth, exit policy... things that could be
explained to your sister in 5 minutes.

Just my 2sat,

--
 David Serrano