[tor-relays] Tor and Freenode

Seth list at sysfu.com
Sun Jan 25 00:46:08 UTC 2015

On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 12:32:24 -0800, David Serrano <tor at dserrano5.es> wrote:

> On 2015-01-24 20:16:13 (+0000), cacahuatl wrote:
>> Markus Hitter:
>> > - It's a hassle to setup. Proxies and such stuff.
>> >
>> Running Tor Browser and setting some options on your IRC client?
>
> Tor Browser isn't even needed. Once he has a relay in place, all he has
> to do
> is teach the IRC client to connect through it.

I run a Tor relay 24/7 at home on a dedicated computer. I like to setup a
ZNC IRC bouncer on the same host have have it connect the Tor relay's
SOCKS5 port via Proxychains. You'll need to authenticate the ZNC Freenode
server nick via SASL if memory serves correctly.

Then configure your IRC client to connect to the ZNC bouncer. Set it and
forget it.

The only non Tor trafic exposure is registering the Freenode nick.