[tor-relays] You relay isn't getting indexed by Authorities?

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Tue Jan 13 08:11:58 UTC 2015

Dedalo <me at dedalo.in> wrote
Mon, 12 Jan 2015 16:31:59 -0500:

| Some months ago I started running another tor relay (middle relay) and
| something happened, My relay wasn't getting indexed by any authority,
| neither wasn on atlas. A friend recommended me to make some tests, the
| problem was the ISP had blacklisted 6 Authorities, but to figure out
| this I had to make some tests... I made a very simple script which tests
| if your isp has blacklisted any authority or if you have a problem with
| your DNS...

What ISP is this?
What does a traceroute have to say?
Which of the directory authorities did it block?
Is it still doing it?

| https://github.com/Dedal0/TorAuthoritiesScript
|
| Just run the script in the vps before you setup a relay to avoid
| indexing problems... The script makes a simple test but is efficient in
| most of authority cases.

Not all networks allow ICMP. Trying to set up a TCP connection to the
directory authority dirport would test something that is a bit closer to
what is needed for submitting a server descriptor.

Thanks for the script and for running a relay.