[tor-relays] eventdns: Address mismatch on received DNS packet.

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Mon Jan 12 13:12:49 UTC 2015

Jeremy Olexa <jolexa at jolexa.net> wrote
Sun, 11 Jan 2015 12:00:16 -0600:

| Can anyone clarify what the problem may be? Or is it no problem at all?

My theory is that this is the result of spurious DNS traffic possibly
unrelated to Tor. DNS is a popular DoS-tool these days, for example. See
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/3056 for an abandoned
ticket about this.

IIUC, libevent is trying to help users (in our case Tor operators) to
realise that they've misconfigured their /etc/resolv.conf but I have to
admit that I don't understand the case where this logging detects that.