[tor-relays] eventdns: Address mismatch on received DNS packet.

Jeremy Olexa jolexa at jolexa.net
Sun Jan 11 18:00:16 UTC 2015

Hi List,

I'm seeing these messages in one of my relays. Pretty often, too.

    eventdns: Address mismatch on received DNS packet.  Apparent
source was <IP>:<port>

I've searched this and found references[1] to a faulty resolver of
some type and torservers.net ignores the message[2]. I use my ISPs
resolvers which are physically close to the server. In an attempt to
fix this, I've added a caching local resolver to my server and
configured resolv.conf properly (problem persists). Then I switched to
Google DNS with caching in front (problem persists).

Can anyone clarify what the problem may be? Or is it no problem at all?

[1]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-July/002209.html
[2]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2011-December/001034.html

Thanks!
-Jeremy